Sweet Chex Mix
Published Oct 21, 2020•Updated Jul 30, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A praline coating adds addictive crunch to this Sweet Chex Mix. It makes a great snack for a crowd or keeps well at room temperature for giving as gifts.
If you are a fan of Chex Mix (who isn’t?), be sure to add this sweet version to your recipe box. Not only does the coating have a balanced sweet flavor, but it has the most crunch of any Chex Mix out there. You won’t believe how crunchy this stuff gets! And it stays that way for weeks, making it a great option for holiday and host gifts.
Ingredients for Sweet Chex Mix
- Cereal – Use any mix. I tend to use a mix of Corn, Wheat, and Rice Chex (then make savory Ranch Party Mix with the same cereals). If just using one type, go with rice Chex for the most crunch.
- Pretzels – Classic snack mix addition.
- Chopped Pecans – These add to the nutty, praline flavor of the mix. It’s okay to skip them if you’d like.
- Light Brown Sugar, Light Corn Syrup, Unsalted Butter, Pure Vanilla Extract, Baking Soda – These pantry ingredients combine to make a very simple caramel coating that hardens on the cereal and stays crunch for days and days.
- Kosher Salt – I used coarse Kosher salt to test this recipe and found that 1/4 tsp gives the Chex Mix just a hint of saltiness to balance the sweet.
How to Make Sweet Chex Mix
- Heat oven to 250°F / 121°C. (The low temperature gives the praline topping time to set and harden as it bakes)
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter and microwave until it begins to boil. Stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour caramel mixture over cereal, pretzels, and pecans. Stir everything together.
- Spread out on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cook and serve!
Storing Sweet Chex Mix
Store the mix in an airtight container at room temperature. It will keep for up to 2 weeks (if you can resist eating it….which we never can).
Ideas for Variations
- Add candy – For a sweeter, colorful snack mix, sprinkle M&Ms over top immediately after baking.
- Add sprinkles – Sprinkles add an extra fun touch, especially if you use holiday colors around Christmas. Like with candy, add the sprinkles right after baking.
- Cinnamon – Add ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon to the caramel mixture for a hint of cinnamon flavor.
- Change nuts – This is great with chopped walnuts or sliced almonds instead of the pecans.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Sweet Chex Mix
- Mixing Bowls
- Half Sheet Pan
- 6 cups cereal (I like a mix of Corn, Wheat, and Rice Chex but if you just want to use one, use Rice Chex for the most crunch)
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cereal, pretzels and pecans.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Microwave until butter melts, about 1 minute. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until mixture is smooth and begins to boil. Stir in the vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the syrup over the cereal. Stir until even.
- Spread the cereal out over the prepared baking sheet and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Once cooled, gently break cereal apart. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.