No-bake chocolate peanut butter oat bars with just 4 whole food ingredients. They are perfect for snacking and you likely have everything you need to make them in your pantry!
Now that Molly and Clara are closer to three than two, these little ladies are ready to get in the kitchen and “help.” I’ve been on the hunt for recipes that are so easy that they can be made by busy adults, non-bakers and the youngest of kitchen helpers. And few things are as simple and satisfying as these no-bake bars with chocolate and peanut butter.
The recipe is as simple as can be. Combine chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) and rolled oats. Stir in peanut butter and honey. Press into a baker and refrigerate until set.
Perhaps best of all, these bars can be easily adapted. We experimented using peanut butter with no added sugar or salt (because that’s what we keep around the house these days), dark chocolate and a mix of honey and maple syrup. Molly and Clara did most of the stirring on the day we made these together which means a fair amount of chocolate and oats ended up on the counter / floor / in little mouths.
Despite our best efforts, these bars were impossible to mess up. They turned out great every time. We liked them best when we warmed the peanut butter just a bit in the microwave. It melted the chocolate as we mixed the bars and resulted in creamy dark chocolate in every bite.
4-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars
- 1 1/2 cups Creamy Peanut Butter
- 3/4 cup Honey (or maple syrup)
- 4 cups Rolled "Old Fashioned" Oats
- 6 oz Semi-sweet or Bittersweet Chocolate (roughly chopped if using chocolate bars)
- Line a 9" x 9" baking dish with a piece of parchment paper (this will make it easier to lift the bars out of the dish once they are set).
- Combine the oats and chocolate in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the peanut butter briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop just to soften (note: this makes it easier to combine with the honey; if you want the chocolate to remain in large pieces instead of melting, skip heating the peanut butter or let it cool completely after mixing it with honey). Combine peanut butter and honey.
- Pour peanut butter / honey mixture over the oats and chocolate and mix to combine. (I find this easiest to do with my hands...and kids love it!)
- Press mixture evenly into the baking dish. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Slice and serve.
- Store the bars at room temperature or in the fridge. They will be slightly soft and chewy when served at room temp and more firm when chilled.
Today, 4-ingredient chocolate peanut butter bars. Tomorrow, the world.