I’ve been in a bit of vacation mode the past couple weeks. Yes, I’ve still been in Bangkok and going to work, but I seem to have found a number of excuses to eat out, stay up late, skip a few morning trips to the gym, and generally have all sorts of fun. It’s been great.
This happens a lot when we have visitors from home, but not usually when it’s just Frank and I. This weekend will be a bit more low-key, although we have a potluck/pool party to attend on Saturday and are meeting friends out that night. Otherwise for the next couple days, you can find me hanging out in the kitchen and catching up on episodes of Master Chef.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars are just the thing for coming off of two weeks of staycation without losing all the fun. The recipe, generously adapted from a version by Rachael Ray, requires no baking and takes all of about 15 minutes to make. The bars have this great crisp, chewy texture when stored in the fridge. I’ve been snacking on these all week – there’s enough honey-induced sweetness and chocolate to satisfy a sweet tooth but oats and peanut butter enough to make for a reasonably healthy snack. We’re all about balance over here.
As for that potluck we’re attending tomorrow – I’m still not sure what I’m bringing. It’s been ages since I went to a potluck; they’re less common here in Bangkok where you can get amazing food for cheap on every street corner!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- 1 and 1/2 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1 and 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or 100 grams dark chocolate, chopped)
- Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish. Combine the puffed rice cereal and rolled oats in a large mixing bowl.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, honey, and peanut butter. Heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it is smooth and pourable, 3-5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the puffed rice and oats and stir until evenly combined (if cool enough to handle, it helps to use your hands). With slightly damp hands, firmly press the mixture into the prepared pan. Gently press the chocolate chips into the top of the bars. Chill the bars in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into 16 squares or rectangles. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.