This Easy Vanilla Snack Cake makes a celebration possible any day of the week with just a little bit of effort! This is a no-mixer-required cake that is baked in an 8×8 pan and comes out tender and soft.
If I’m going to bake, I love a no-mixer weeknight-friendly dessert that doesn’t feel like a big project. After adding One Bowl Chocolate Cake and Applesauce Cake to our baking rotation, I knew we needed a similarly easy vanilla version to add to the mix. True to its name, this vanilla snack cake has been serving us well for months. The kids and I can bake it together after school without any fuss. It makes just enough to serve our family of five and a couple of dinner guests. It’s great with just a dusting of powdered sugar, but is extra fun with vanilla frosting and a few sprinkles.
See below for the easy instructions!
Ingredients for Vanilla Snack Cake
- All-Purpose Flour – Just the regular all-purpose white flour that you likely already have in your pantry. To get the most accurate results (and minimize dishes!), I like to do this on a scale by weight.
- Sugar – Use granulated white sugar for this cake. Like the flour, I prefer to do this on a scale by weight, right inside the mixing bowl.
- Baking Powder – Double check that you use baking powder in this cake, NOT baking soda.
- Sour Cream – This is the “secret” ingredient to this cake that is simple, moist, and has a rich vanilla flavor. The sour cream gives the cake moisture and a very subtle tangy flavor. I use full fat sour cream, but light sour cream or even plain Greek yogurt will work.
- Egg, Milk, Vegetable Oil, Pure Vanilla Extract, pinch of salt – You’ll also need these other common ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Toppings for Vanilla Cake
Vanilla Cake is great topped with any of these:
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Frosting and Sprinkles
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting (for an 8×8 cake)
- Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
Other Easy Desserts
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake – This is my go-to weeknight cake because it can be made in one bowl!
- Easy Apple Crumble – Just a few minutes to prep and you can have this super easy not-too-sweet apple crumble for dessert. Top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars – These peanut butter bars loaded with chocolate peanut butter cups are made in an 8×8 baking pan which is great for a weeknight dinner, packing in lunches, or freezing for later.
- Anchor 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowls – My go-to mixing bowls for baking.
- 8×8 Baking Dish Emile Henry – I love this small, sturdy baker.
Easy Vanilla Snack Cake
- Mixing Bowls
- 8x8 baking dish
- 1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour (190 g)
- 1 cup Sugar (200 g)
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In one large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, milk, sour cream, oil, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until just combined (no dry spots should remain; but do not over mix).
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until the center is firm and the cake is golden on top, 28 to 32 minutes.
- Let cake cool in the pan before slicing and serving.
“Take a picture of us, Mom.”
*This post contains affiliate links*