If you like the sweet and savory flavor of teriyaki, you’ll love how easy it is to make this sauce using ingredients you already have at home.
Around our house, there are sauces we buy and sauces we make. For a long time, teriyaki was planted firmly in the “we buy” camp. But a few years ago, I discovered that it’s actually one of the easiest Asian-style sauces to make at home and uses ingredients that we almost always have in the pantry.
It’s also one of those things that is legitimately better when made from scratch. Instead of just tasting sweetness (which is all I taste now in those bottled sauces), this version has depth and tanginess and a hint of tart spice from fresh ginger.
(And even though I love the flavor of fresh ginger here, I’ll tell you a little secret….if you don’t add it, the sauce is still great.)
Once a jar of this sauce is in your fridge, you’ll find so many uses for it! I’ve got one of my favorites coming at ya later this week. Hope it’s off to a good start friends!
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Water, divided
- 1/4 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce (I typically use low-sodium, but any kind will work)
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated Fresh Ginger (optional; see note)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- In a small saucepan combine ½ cup Water, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the sauce is coming to a simmer, whisk together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp water.
- When sauce is simmering, slowly add cornstarch / water mixture while whisking. Simmer sauce until thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Use immediately in a stir-fry or drizzled over noodles or rice. Sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
We made our first batch of pumpkin muffins of the fall season! These ladies give them two muffin-filled thumbs up. This recipe is our favorite.
This post is not sponsored, but it may contain affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but we may earn a small commission which helps keep the site running and the saucy goodness coming. Thank you for your support!