Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix
Published Aug 05, 2021•Updated Sep 04, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Forget the store-bought stuff and stir up a batch of homemade pancake and waffle mix to keep in the pantry. Delicious homemade pancakes and waffles are always just minutes away.
I’m revisiting an old recipe today (originally published way back in 2012 here) with new photos and tips, but this homemade pancake and waffle mix stands the test of time. I keep it in the pantry and even my 7-year-olds can make breakfast in a few minutes on a Saturday morning. The pancakes it makes are light, fluffy, and super flavorful. The waffles are golden and tender. It’s so easy!
Why You’ll Love Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix
Two words. No junk. You don’t need all the extra ingredients in store-bought pancake and waffle mix. Just basic ingredients from your pantry. Add buttermilk (or my go-to substitute included in the recipe below), eggs, and melted butter.
These pancakes / waffles are:
- Light and Fluffy
- Slightly tangy from buttermilk
- Customizable – add your favorite mix-ins like blueberries or chocolate chips
A Good Substitute for Buttermilk
These days I always keep low fat buttermilk in my refrigerator. We use it at least once a week to make these pancakes or waffles or any of the recipes below. But, if you don’t have buttermilk, do not worry – there’s an easy substitute!
To make a substitute for buttermilk, replace 1 cup buttermilk with 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, and 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice. The yogurt and the vinegar / lemon juice thicken the milk and mimic the sour flavor of buttermilk.
More Recipes that Use Buttermilk
There are so many great ways to use leftover buttermilk. Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Banana Layer Cake
- Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Slab Biscuits
- Summer Berry Cobbler
- Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- The Best Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Lemon Buttermilk Pie
Storing Leftover Pancakes or Waffles
Let pancakes and waffles cool completely and then store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze flat and then transfer to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 6 months. Reheat in the toaster (you can toast them directly from the freezer).
More Pancake and Waffle Recipes
- Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Overnight Yeasted Whole Wheat Waffles
- Light and Fluffy Whole Wheat Waffles
- Light and Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- Savory Waffles with Sausage and Cheddar
- Waffle-Iron Hash Browns with Parmesan and Kale
- Pumpkin Pancakes
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix Recipe
- Large Lidded Container
- 6 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a large lidded container and shake vigorously to combine. Store at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- See notes below for instructions on how to cook the pancakes or waffles and a printable label.
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 cup Low-fat Buttermilk (sub 1/4 cup plain yogurt combined with 3/4 cup milk)
- 1 Large Egg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.