Light and Fluffy Vanilla Frosting is a three-ingredient frosting that is made with heavy cream and cream cheese. The result is light like whipped cream but holds its shape like cream cheese frosting. This recipe makes enough for an 8” round or square cake or a dozen cupcakes.
Now that our family has this super simple, weeknight-friendly Vanilla Snack Cake in the rotation, we needed a vanilla frosting to go on top. Most vanilla frosting recipes I found made way too much for this sized cake, so I wanted a go-to version that would make just enough frosting for an 8×8 cake or a dozen cupcakes. (This is especially important since extra frosting mysteriously finds its way into my mouth.)
This version of vanilla frosting is much lighter than buttercream. It has a great light but sturdy texture that makes it easy to spread and can be made a day in advance and just left at room temperature to cool down before using it.
Here’s how to make my favorite Light and Fluffy Vanilla Frosting!
Ingredients for Light and Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
- Cream Cheese – Be sure to get the cream cheese that comes in a block, not the kind in a tub that has a different texture and won’t work in this recipe. Be sure to let it soften to room temperature. The flavor of the cream cheese is subtle in this frosting, but it helps the frosting to be sturdy and hold its shape. Light or Low-fat Cream Cheese will work here.
- Powdered Sugar – This frosting uses just enough powdered sugar to lend the frosting a bit (but not too much) sweetness. Powdered sugar is sometimes also labeled “icing” or “confectioners” sugar.
- Heavy / Whipping Cream – Look for this labeled as either heavy cream or whipping cream. Be sure to keep this chilled right up until you add it to the frosting. This gives the frosting its light and fluffy texture reminiscent of whipped cream.
Make Vanilla Frosting Ahead
This frosting can be made up to a day ahead. Just transfer it to any container and cover with plastic wrap, pressing down to seal the top of the frosting. When you’re ready to use it, take it out of the refrigerator about an hour before using. Let it come close to room temperature and then give it a few really good stirs with a spatula before spreading it on the cake / cupcakes.
Other Easy Cakes / Frosting Recipes
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Easy Vanilla Snack Cake
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting (for an 8×8 cake)
- Applesauce Cake
- Mixer – Use a stand mixer or a handheld mixer for this frosting.
- Anchor 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowls – My go-to mixing bowls for baking.
Light and Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
- Stand Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- 3 oz Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy / Whipping Cream, chilled
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer. Turn the mixer on medium and beat until evenly combined.
- Turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and slowly pour the heavy cream down the side of the bowl with the mixer running.
- When all of the cream has been added, increase speed to medium-high until stiff peaks form. If the frosting is too thick to spread with a spatula, add more cream 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
This post is not sponsored, but it does contain affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. Thank you for your support!