This makes an incredibly creamy chocolate frosting that is sized perfectly for an 8×8 (or a thinner layer on a 9×9 cake).
One of my current cooking goals is to get better at baking birthday cakes! I went to buy a birthday cake for Molly and Clara’s birthday this year and it was going to cost almost $100! It seemed excessive for a dessert that my girls were going to destroy in a matter of minutes. 😉 Enter a new era of cake-baking in my kitchen. Also enter…the One-Bowl Chocolate Cake that inspired the need for this frosting!
This frosting is a creamy, light chocolate that is not too rich or sweet. It’s smooth and spreads easily, but it has become my go-to, not because it works on a fancy layered birthday cake, but because it’s perfect for an easy, 8×8 cake. The cake plus frosting are so easy that I’ve been making them both about once a week to enjoy for dessert or to deliver to family and friends.
If you’re looking for just the right amount of chocolate frosting for an 8×8 (or 9×9) cake, look no further!
Creamy Chocolate Frosting (for an 8x8 cake)
- 8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Milk, any type (plus up to an extra 2 Tbsp if needed)
- Combine butter, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract. Beat on high using a handheld mixer or the whip / whisk attachment on a stand mixer. Beat until very smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp milk and continue mixing until evenly combined. Add extra milk, as needed, until the frosting is a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting over cake. (Note: If frosting a freshly baked cake, allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.)
This post is not sponsored, but it does contain affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. Thank you for your support!