This makes an incredibly creamy chocolate frosting that is sized perfectly for an 8×8 (or a thinner layer on a 9×9 cake).
One of my current cooking goals is to get better at baking birthday cakes! I went to buy a birthday cake for Molly and Clara’s birthday this year and it was going to cost almost $100! It seemed excessive for a dessert that my girls were going to destroy in a matter of minutes. 😉 Enter a new era of cake-baking in my kitchen. Also enter…the One-Bowl Chocolate Cake that inspired the need for this frosting!
This frosting is a creamy, light chocolate that is not too rich or sweet. It’s smooth and spreads easily, but it has become my go-to, not because it works on a fancy layered birthday cake, but because it’s perfect for an easy, 8×8 cake. The cake plus frosting are so easy that I’ve been making them both about once a week to enjoy for dessert or to deliver to family and friends.
If you’re looking for just the right amount of chocolate frosting for an 8×8 (or 9×9) cake, look no further!
Creamy Chocolate Frosting (for an 8x8 cake)
- 8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Milk, any type plus up to an extra 1 Tbsp if needed
- Combine butter, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract. Beat on high using a handheld mixer or the whip / whisk attachment on a stand mixer. Beat until very smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp milk and continue mixing until evenly combined. Add an extra tablespoon of milk if needed to make the frosting a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Use to frost a cake right away.
This post is not sponsored, but it does contain affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. Thank you for your support!