This makes an incredibly creamy chocolate frosting that is sized perfectly for an 8x8 (or a thinner layer on a 9x9 cake).
One of my current cooking goals is to get better at baking birthday cakes! I went to buy a birthday cake for Molly and Clara's birthday this year and it was going to cost almost $100! It seemed excessive for a dessert that my girls were going to destroy in a matter of minutes. 😉 Enter a new era of cake-baking in my kitchen. Also enter...the One-Bowl Chocolate Cake that inspired the need for this frosting! (And don't forget its equally delicious sister cake, this Easy Vanilla Snacking Cake!)
This frosting is a creamy, light chocolate that is not too rich or sweet. It's smooth and spreads easily, but it has become my go-to, not because it works on a fancy layered birthday cake, but because it's perfect for an easy, 8x8 cake. The cake plus frosting are so easy that I've been making them both about once a week to enjoy for dessert or to deliver to family and friends.
If you're looking for just the right amount of chocolate frosting for an 8x8 (or 9x9) cake, look no further!
More Dessert Recipes
- Banana Layer Cake
- Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- Mini Cheesecakes
- Muffin Pan Strawberry Shortcakes
- Semolina Yogurt Cake
- One-Bowl Chocolate Guinness Cake
- Applesauce Cake
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie
- Easy Vanilla Snack Cake
Creamy Chocolate Frosting (for an 8x8 cake)
- Stand or Handheld Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk, any type (plus up to an extra 2 tablespoon if needed)
- Combine butter, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract. Beat on high using a handheld mixer or the whip / whisk attachment on a stand mixer. Beat until very smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk and continue mixing until evenly combined. Add extra milk, as needed, until the frosting is a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting over cake. (Note: If frosting a freshly baked cake, allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.)
*This post contains affiliate links*