Chocolate Peanut Butter (Buckeye) Brownies are the ultimate brownie with a light, fluffy peanut butter layer and topped with chocolate-peanut butter ganache.
While I was making these brownies on Saturday, Frank kept asking me if I had “tasted them yet.” But even before I tasted them, I knew they would be amazing. What’s not to love about a layer of brownie, topped with light fluffy peanut butter, and finished with chocolate-peanut butter ganache? For peanut butter and chocolate fans, these are the ultimate brownies.
It was a great weekend for baking. Easter, of course, which calls for a bit more chocolate than most. But we also spent a good part of the weekend visiting friends including those who hosted us for a home beer making lesson on Saturday (we made a Bourbon Stout). There’s so much science involved in brewing beer, but just like baking, all that science sure pays off with delicious results.
These incredible brownies came my way thanks to this month’s Secret Recipe Club and Erin’s blog Making Memories with Your Kids. As you can imagine from the title of her blog, Erin is a wonderful mom to two kids whom she involves in all sorts of cooking projects. Her commitment to engaging her kids in the kitchen inspires me, since I hope to have two junior cooks at my side some day! And who wouldn’t want to be in the kitchen with Erin? Even though these brownies were too irresistible to pass up, I also loved the idea of her Apple Pie Bars and Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies (how fun are those!?).
Thank you Erin for keeping my sweet tooth satisfied all weekend long and making sure we had plenty of these brownies to share with friends!
PS: Frank didn’t know what “buckeyes” are! Is that a regional thing? Buckeyes were a Christmas staple in my Midwestern childhood. What do they call chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls where you live?
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 4-Ingredient Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Oat Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Chocolate-Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Cake
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
- 9×13 Emile Henri Baker
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- All Clad Saucepan
- Anchor 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowls
- Stand or Handheld Mixer
Chocolate Peanut Butter (Buckeye) Brownies
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowls
- Stand or Handheld Mixer
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
Peanut Butter Layer:
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Milk, if needed
- 4 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper (leave ends hanging over the edges so you can lift the brownies out after baking.)
- For the brownies, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add cocoa, baking powder and salt and stir to combine. Add flour and stir until smooth. Spread into pan and bake until cooked through, 25-30 min. Cool completely before frosting.
- For peanut butter layer, beat all ingredients until light and fluffy. Add milk a bit at a time, if needed, to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency. Once the brownies are cool, spread the peanut butter layer over the top and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- For the ganache layer, combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Melt slowly in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring well each time. When smooth, pour over the top of the brownies and spread with a spatula until even. Return to the refrigerator to set. Slice and serve!
And here’s what it really looked like as Frank and I were trying to capture the “perfect pour” shot of ganache…
*This post contains affiliate links*