Published Jul 19, 2012•Updated May 25, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Hot weather, good friends, late nights. Sounds like summer to me. Just like the tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella in these Caprese Skewers.
A couple weeks ago I was sort of under the weather, which translated to burrowing into our couch in a hoodie and craving things that are normally reserved for blustery winter evenings, like butternut squash and hot cocoa. It was weird.
Not to mention that my under-the-weatherness resulted in an all-out omission of the Fourth of July in our house. We just skipped it. I think I ate soup.
Now that I’m recovered, I feel like I’m trying to catch up on summer. It seems to have rolled in in all its glory while I was curled up on the couch. I’ve been a summer recipe pinning/blog-reading fiend, and invited friends over last night for a summery dinner. We kicked things off with Watermelon and Mint Lemonade (some spiked with gin) and for the main event, a few salads, including the chickpeas that I cannot.stop.eating.
I loved the simplicity of the whole thing. Everything was done the night before (we had to work on Wednesday, after all…Frank’s alarm went off at 4am on Wednesday morning – ouch). But, these little bites of summer were so much fun that I would like to start every dinner with them. Their memory nearly overshadowed the drizzly weather that confronted me when I went to the gym this morning.
Raindrops on the swimming pool
More Summer Skewer Recipes
- Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad Skewers
- Panzanella Salad Skewers
- Chili-Lime Glazed Beef Skewers with Charred Corn Salsa
- Honey Garlic Glazed Chicken Skewers
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
- 40 Toothpicks
- 40 Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half (80 cherry tomatoes if using a very small variety)
- 20 fresh Italian Basil Leaves, torn or cut in half
- 1 ball Fresh Mozzarella, cut into 40 small cubes
- good quality Balsamic Vinegar, for serving
- To make the skewers, on each toothpick, skewer one half a cherry tomato, one half a leaf of Italian basil, and one cube fresh mozzarella, and finish it with another half a cherry tomato. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.