These addictive Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers have that sweet, spicy, sticky quality of chicken wings but are so much easier to eat, and the citrus dipping sauce puts them over the top.
I accidentally took a vacation from blogging. I blame all the fresh air and general high spirits around here. But even though the blog has been quiet, behind the scenes, I’ve been hard at work. With two little girls who currently eat their weight in breakfast foods each morning and every fall squash at every fall farm stand in American calling my name, I’ve got a ton of new recipes to share in the coming weeks.
But the squash is on hold for the moment (even you, you tasty butternut, you), because the weather has been gorgeous and we’ve been grilling.
Frank is almost always the exclusive griller in our house, but I made an exception for these sweet, savory, sticky chicken skewers. Everything about these reminded me of the grilled chicken sold on every corner in Bangkok. From first thing in the morning to last thing at night in Bangkok, it’s possible to find amazing grilled meats at street carts. And now that we’ve been away from Bangkok for 3 months, is it any wonder that I’m constantly craving them?
Fortunately, these Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers are so easy to make at home. Sweet, sticky, a little bit spicy. I served them over pineapple rice made with a bit of coconut milk.
Good to know that we’ll have a stand-in until we make a return visit to the land of street food and grilled meats.
More Grill Recipes
- Thai-Style Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang)
- Sweet and Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled Summer Vegetable and Pesto Pizza
- Yogurt-Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Chili-Lime Glazed Beef Skewers with Charred Corn Salsa
- Banh Mi Burgers with Sriracha Lime Mayo
- Tex Mex Burgers with Guacamole
- Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burgers
Honey Garlic Glazed Chicken Skewers
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Skewers
- Gas or Charcoal Grill
For the marinade:
- 3 Tbsp Ponzu (see note)
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh Ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
For the chicken:
- 1 lb Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless, or use chicken breasts)
- 8 Wooden Skewers
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Cut the chicken into even cubes and combine with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to a day.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill. While the grill is heating, thread the chicken through the skewers. Grill the chicken slowly, turning every couple minutes and basting with the leftover marinade. If the chicken begins to char, move to indirect heat (the honey in the marinade will make it char quickly if over high heat). Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 1 cup White Rice
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Light Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Chunks, drained
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Heat water, coconut milk and salt in a medium saucepan until it begins to boil. Add rice and cover. Reduce heat to allow the rice to simmer without bubbling over. Simmer until all of the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for another 10 minutes to allow the rice to steam and absorb all of the liquid. Stir in pineapple.
Speaking of fall produce stands…we may have loaded up on a few apples this week. Or a few dozen…
*This post contains affiliate links*