With its beautiful pink-orange color and tart, refreshing flavor, a Paper Plane Cocktail deserves a spot in every home cocktail repertoire. It can be made ahead or made in batches to serve a crowd.
When house mixologist Frank adds a new cocktail to his rotation, I’m always eager to try them out. Many become staples that we serve to guests and make for date nights-in, but we share only our absolute favorites on the pages of this blog. And this cocktail? It needed to be documented and brought to your attention. A paper plane cocktail is:
- Perfect for making a single cocktail or a batch
- Make-ahead friendly
Here’s all you need to about making your own paper plane drink.
What is a Paper Plane Cocktail?
It is a tart, pink-orange cocktail made with equal parts bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and fresh lemon juice. The ingredients are shaken with ice, strained, and served in a cocktail glass with a lemon peel garnish. A paper plane cocktail is a relatively recent addition to the cocktail scene, developed in 2007 for the New York City-based cocktail bar Milk & Honey.
- Bourbon - Use your favorite. It’s fun to try different brands, but there’s no need to get a super expensive one.
- Aperol and Amaro Nonino - These are both Italian liquors. You most likely know Aperol due to its place in an Aperol Spritz, but Amaro Nonino adds herbal notes to the drink. These ingredients in combination give the drink its bright color and slightly bitter flavor.
- Lemon Juice - This is the real star and makes the drink incredibly refreshing. Be sure to use fresh squeezed and don’t skimp.
How to Make It
- Combine equal parts bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and fresh lemon juice.
- Set out a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Pour the liquids over top.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a coupe glass or your favorite cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon peel. Serve your paper plane drink chilled.
More Cocktail Recipes
- Pomegranate Pear Champagne Cocktail
- Watermelon Margaritas
- Bourbon Lemonade Slush
- Passion Fruit Mojitos
- Pear and Lime Sangria
Paper Plane Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- ¾ ounce Bourbon
- ¾ ounce Aperol
- ¾ ounce Amaro Nonino
- ¾ ounce Lemon Juice
- Combine all ingredients.
- In a shaker, combine with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into glasses.