Sweet and sour bourbon lemonade slush is a refreshingly frozen cocktail that is perfect for making in batches and serving to a crowd.
Nothing to see here. Just us, drinking sweet and sour spiked frozen bourbon lemonades on the eve of Labor Day weekend. When a long weekend starts off with a frozen cocktail, you can tell it’s gonna be a good one.
It should come as no surprise that I come from a family of recipe collectors. We host potlucks for the chance to show off our latest finds. We talk about cooking shows and barbecue sauces, gardening and canning, cocktails and pizza toppings. At family gatherings recipes are traded like baseball cards. There are no secret family recipes around here; only recipes that we think are so good they should be shared with the world.
I guess writing a food blog feels like a natural extension of that. Food is better when shared.
And frozen cocktails? Those are definitely better when shared.
My extended family is in a season of recipe nostalgia these days. Even more than usual, we’ve been talking about our favorites and digging through the archives. I have collections of recipes from my family on both sides. Some have been passed on by email or copied over the years. Others are in recipe boxes. You can always tell the favorites by the number of spills on the cards.
This Bourbon Lemonade Slush is one of those recipe discoveries that just screams summer. My Uncle (hi, Uncle Doug!) sent it to me early in the summer saying that he found it in my grandpa’s handwriting dated August 1983. The drink is tart, sweet and boozy and exceptionally refreshing. The glasses get nice and frosty and drinking one is reminiscent of late summer afternoons as a kid, drinking Slurpees with a straw.
Except with bourbon. Making these grown-up version of that sort of fun.
Have a wonderful long weekend friends! Cheers!
More Adult Beverages
- Pomegranate Pear Champagne Cocktail
- Apple Cider Punch with Bourbon
- Pear and Lime Sangria
- Passion Fruit Mojitos
- Lemon Bourbon Sweet Tea
- Watermelon Frose
Bourbon Lemonade Slush
- 1 12 oz can Frozen Lemonade
- 6 oz Bourbon (adjust to taste)
- 6 oz Honey (sub 1/4 cup Sugar)
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Put the can of frozen lemonade (still frozen) in a blender. Fill the empty can halfway with bourbon and then add honey to fill completely (no need to be super precise). Pulse a few times to combine. Add ice to fill the blender. Blend until the ice is fully crushed. Taste and add some more honey or sugar if you'd like it to be more sweet.
- Serve in small glasses with lemon slices as garnish.
*This post contains affiliate links*