This Banana Bread Crumb Cake is a sweet merger that you will love to wake up to any morning or enjoy with a cup of tea any afternoon.
The Inspiration for this Crumb Cake
I think we may have our first teething baby over here, so I'll make this quick. We'll be heading to bed early tonight in case we are in for midnight snuggles from a seven-month-old who is joining the world of biters. The mere thought of a late-night wake-up has me thinking back to our earliest days of parenthood when the saving grace in the morning was always coffee and breakfast. This is perfect for sleep-deprived new parents. Also great with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I would definitely like to see it first thing in the morning.
This recipe is where banana bread meets coffee cake and it is a pretty sweet match.
This cake is slightly sweet with a hint of cinnamon. I used buttermilk in the banana bread instead of milk which is an adaptation from my favorite banana bread of all time - it gives the bread a bit of tang and helps it to stay tender and delicious for days in the fridge.
More Banana Recipes
- Chocolate-Dipped Banana Bread Truffles
- Weeknight Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Bundt Cake with Chocolate
- Baked Banana French Toast with Pecan Crumble
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter Cinnamon Icing
- Banana Bread Cupcakes
- Rich Chocolate Banana Popsicles
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Frozen Yogurt
Banana Bread Crumb Cake Recipe
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowls
- Stand or Handheld Mixer
For the Cake:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 ripe Bananas
- ½ cup Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Buttermilk (see note)
For the Crumb:
- 1 cup cold Butter, cubed
- 1 cup light Brown Sugar
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish or 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, mash bananas until smooth. To the bananas, add the butter and beat until well combined. Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix well. Alternate adding a third of the flour mixture and a third of the buttermilk, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- To make the crumb, cut all ingredients together with a fork or pastry cutter until a coarse crumb forms. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with half of the crumb. Cover with the remaining batter and top with remaining crumb. Bake for 50-55 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk and drizzle on top.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (Inside. Outside it's still 90 degrees and sunny.)