Sweet Potato Tacos
Published Oct 18, 2023•Updated Nov 08, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Meatless Mondays are even better with these Sweet Potato Tacos. Hot and crispy chunks of tender sweet potatoes are loaded with crunchy shredded lettuce, tangy goat cheese, and a super creamy avocado crema for the most decadent vegetarian tacos you’ve ever tried.
Plant-based meals are easier and tastier than ever with recipes like sweet potato tacos. This quick vegetarian and gluten-free dinner is a family favorite that is bursting with so many different flavors and textures, you will hardly believe it comes together in about 30 minutes.
The sweet potatoes are sauteed and steamed, rather than roasted, which saves tons of time, and creates fork-tender potatoes. Instead of chopping up fresh cilantro and dressing the tacos with this southwestern herb, the leaves are blended right in the crema dressing for a yummy zing of flavor. Customize these tacos with corn or flour tortillas, try different toppings and levels of spice, and watch this healthy and delicious dinner disappear.
How to Make It
- Make the crema. Combine the avocado crema ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cook the potatoes. Saute the potatoes in a skillet for 2 to 3 minutes, then add a splash of water and steam for 5 minutes. Add the black beans and taco seasoning.
- Warm tortillas. Microwave tortillas for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Assemble and serve. Fill tortillas with sweet potatoes and black beans and top with lettuce, goat cheese, and avocado crema.
- Avocado – Creamy avocado forms the base of the crema. Choose a ripe avocado so it easily combines with the other ingredients.
- Cilantro Leaves – Blending the cilantro into the crema creates a smooth herbal flavor.
- Sour Cream – Tangy sour cream balances the savory and zingy elements.
- Lime Juice – The refreshing zip of lime is the perfect balance to the creamy avocado and sour cream.
- Kosher Salt – To tie everything together.
- Garlic, Jalapeno – Totally optional, but brings new layers of spice and flavor. For mild spiciness, remove the jalapeno seeds.
- Cooking Oil – Any neutral cooking oil will work here. Avocado, grapeseed, or vegetable oil are great choices.
- Sweet Potatoes – Peeled and cubed potatoes will saute and steam more quickly than roasted potatoes.
- Black Beans – A simple can of black beans adds a hearty, protein-packed punch.
- Taco Seasoning – Use your favorite store-bought taco seasoning or try this fragrant Tex Mex Seasoning.
- Taco-Size Tortillas – For gluten-free sweet potato tacos, use gluten-free corn tortillas. If flour tortillas are a hit at your table, those fluffy tortillas also work.
- Heart Romaine Lettuce – Hearts of Romaine are a sturdy lettuce with lots of crunch, and they are the perfect taco topper.
- Goat Cheese – Creamy, tangy goat cheese goes so well with the other savory flavors in these delicious sweet potato tacos.
How to store
Store the lime crema and the sweet potato-black bean mixture separately in an airtight container. Reheat the sweet potato filling in a skillet or in the microwave, and give the crema a quick stir to bring back that smooth texture. Enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
- Adding garlic and jalapeno will bring more spice and bite to the sweet potato tacos. Adjust these ingredients depending on your flavor preferences, or feel free to eliminate them altogether.
- Make the avocado crema the day before you use it to save time.
- For crispy but tender sweet potatoes, allow the cooking oil to heat in the pan before adding the potato chunks.
- Make it spicy – Red chili flakes add an enticing spiciness to these vegetarian tacos.
- Add extra toppings – Pickled onions, cucumber, or jalapeno are refreshing additions to every taco Tuesday or meatless Monday. Customize cheeses by swapping goat cheese for cotija or feta.
Peeling the sweet potatoes helps them cook faster, but if you love the texture of roasted sweet potatoes you can also use that cooking method in this easy recipe.
To make vegan sweet potato tacos, simply omit the goat cheese, and use a dairy-free sour cream substitute, or simply use guacamole in place of the avocado crema.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Sweet Potato Tacos
- Food Processor
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno (optional; seeds removed for less spice)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning (see note)
- 8 taco-sized tortillas (flour or corn; use gluten-free corn if needed)
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, shredded
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- To make the avocado crema, combine all ingredients listed under avocado crema in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and add additional salt, if needed. (Note: garlic and jalapeño add additional flavor, but only use them if they are flavors you like. A blender will work here, but you may need to add a splash of water to help bring everything together.) Refrigerate up to a day ahead.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil and then sweet potatoes and saute until they are beginning to turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 Tablespoons of water to the pan and cover it with a lid or foil. Steam the sweet potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add black beans and taco seasoning. Saute until seasoning is fragrant and beans are heated through.
- Cover the tortillas with a slightly damp paper towel and microwave until warm, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with romaine, sweet potato / black bean mixture, crumbled goat cheese and then topping with avocado crema.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.