Meatless Monday? Taco Tuesday? Just need something for dinner tonight? These tacos filled with spiced sweet potatoes, goat cheese and rich avocado crema are fast, vegetarian, gluten-free and come together in under 30 minutes.
To season the filling of these tacos, any store-bought taco seasoning will work great. If you have a few extra minutes and are feeling a little ambitious, make your own by combining:
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder (I like Ancho Chili Powder for a more smoky flavor)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
If you like spice, you can add 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes for a kick.
Avocado crema – a fancy name for something super simple – just a blend of avocado, cilantro, lime juice and sour cream (or Mexican crema if you happen to have that sort of thing).
I only recently discovered avocado crema. If I have ripe avocados and tacos in mind, guacamole is usually my go-to, but avocado crema really deserves a spot in the rotation. A little goes a long way, and it’s so smooth that it makes an easy topping for tacos or dressing for salad.
Because limes are blended right into the crema, it won’t turn brown quickly, so you can make it ahead and store it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
When I have a batch of avocado crema in the fridge, I put it on everything (and Molly and Clara dip everything in it).
It might become a staple. As will these tacos. With our days feeling more full and the weather turning perfect for post-dinner strolls through the neighborhood, any dinner that takes less than 10 minutes at the stove is a win.
Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Crema and Goat Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream (or Mexican Crema)
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 clove Garlic (opt)
- 1/2 Jalapeno (opt)
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes, cubed
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (see note)
- 12 Taco-Sized Tortillas (flour or corn; use gluten-free corn if needed)
- 1 heart Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 4 oz Goat Cheese (sub feta cheese), crumbled
- To make the avocado crema, combine all ingredients listed under avocado crema in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and add additional salt, if needed. (Note: garlic and jalapeño add additional flavor, but only use them if they are flavors you like. A blender will work here, but you may need to add a splash of water to help bring everything together.) Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add cooking oil and then sweet potatoes and saute until they are beginning to turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp of water to the pan and cover it with a lid or foil. Steam the sweet potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add black beans and taco seasoning. Saute until seasoning is fragrant and beans are heated through.
- Cover the tortillas with a slightly damp paper towel and microwave until warm, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with romaine, sweet potato / black bean mixture, crumbled goat cheese and then topping with avocado crema.
1 Tbsp Chili Powder (I like Ancho Chili Powder with gives it a bit more smoky flavor)
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
We’ve recently discovered that trail mix is one of the most fun snacks. Even at 2 years old, there’s so much strategy that goes into what you eat first and what you save…