Few things are as satisfying as perfectly tender oven-roasted vegetables. Tossed with olive oil, garlic, and lots of fresh herbs, this version is as easy as they come but tastes like a guest-worthy side dish.
It’s easy to write-off vegetable side dishes in favor of the main event, but I’m here to argue that we should all be giving them a little extra love. It doesn’t take much work to make beautiful roasted vegetables that threaten to outshine the roast. In fact, all it takes are some fresh herbs, garlic, and high heat.
The resulting pan of vegetables are caramelized to golden brown, super fragrant, and hard not to eat straight off the sheet pan. Sometimes these barely even make it to the dinner table in our house.
Here’s all you need.
- Vegetables – You can use just about any combination, but it’s really important that they are cut into even pieces so they cook in roughly the same amount of time. See below for some ideas.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – I like the flavor that olive oil gives roasted vegetables over any other type of oil. Use a generous amount to help everything cook evenly and get nicely caramelized.
- Fresh Herbs – Just like the vegetables, you can use any combination. See below for a few of my favorites.
- Kosher Salt – Add the amount listed in the recipe and then taste and add more at the end of cooking after you taste the vegetables. They’ll have the most flavor if they get a bit of salt before roasting and a bit after cooking.
- Garlic – Skip it if you like, but fresh garlic is delicious with roasted vegetables.
Use Two Sheet Pans For Roasting
For best results, be sure to spread your vegetables out over two sheet pans to roast. If the vegetables have plenty of space between them, air can circulate and the vegetables will get nice and golden brown and cook evenly.
Best Vegetables for Roasting
You can mix and match the vegetables, combining your favorites. Just be very sure to cut them into even pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Squash (butternut, acorn, or delicata)
- Brussels sprouts
- Potatoes (regular, baby, or sweet potatoes)
Best Herbs for Roasted Vegetables
More Easy Vegetable Sides
- Creamy Corn Casserole
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy Butternut Squash and Spinach Casserole
- Spicy Szechuan Green Beans
- Twice-Baked Butternut Squash with Quinoa, Pecans, and Parmesan
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Dried Cranberries and Pecans
Herb Roasted Vegetables
- 2 Half Sheet Pans
- 3 lbs Vegetables, cut into even 2-inch pieces (like butternut squash, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 sprigs Fresh Sage, Rosemary, or Thyme (or any combination)
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 218°C.
- Toss vegetables with olive oil, herbs, salt, and garlic.
- Spread out on 2 baking sheets.
- Roast, turning with a spatula halfway through cooking, until vegetables are golden brown and very tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links*