Looking for a simple vegetable side dish that goes well with everything? Look no further than Glazed Honey Mustard Carrots. Lightly sweet and tart, these tender carrots are cooked in one pan on the stovetop.
When you try these carrots fresh off the stovetop and coated in a tangy sweet glaze, you’ll understand why they’re a hit every time I serve them. Honey brings out the carrots’ natural sweetness, while mustard and vinegar add savory depth. I like to use stone ground mustard to give this simple side dish just a little extra texture that really makes these carrots ‘pop’, kind of the same way the ginger-garlic-scallion combo ‘pops’ in my Wok-Fried Ginger Scallion Carrots. While this carrot side dish is simple and quick enough for weeknight meals, it can also hold its own for special holiday gatherings.
HOW TO CUT CARROTS
If you don’t make many carrot side dishes, cutting these long, cylindrical veggies may look more complicated than it really is. The key is to make sure that each piece is similar in size so they each cook in the same amount of time. This will mean cutting more pieces from the thicker part of the carrot than the thinner part.
For tips, I love this article, which explains in detail how to cut carrots, and the four basic methods used.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GLAZED HONEY MUSTARD CARROTS
The great thing about carrots is they go with every protein. Hearty dishes like juicy pot roast, braised chicken, and pork tenderloin are a match made in food heaven. Or, keep your meal one-hundred percent vegetarian by serving with marinated tofu.
- Make it vegan - Make this Glazed Honey Mustard Carrots recipe vegan by substituting maple syrup or date syrup for honey.
- Add butter - Luscious butter gives an extra layer of decadence to carrot side dishes.
- Add herbs - Carrot dishes love herbs like dill or parsley. Chop one, or both, of these herbs for even more flavor.
- Add more sweetness - Incorporate brown sugar into your carrot glaze for more sweetness.
More Recipes with Carrots
- Honey-Roasted Carrots with Poppy Seeds
- Carrot Top Chocolate Cupcakes
- Curried Carrot Soup with Toasted Pepitas
- Crunchy Thai Ramen Noodle Salad
- Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast
Honey Mustard Glazed Carrots
- Saute Pan
- 1 pound Carrots, cut into even 1 ½-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard (I like stone-ground mustard for texture, but any type will work)
- 1 Tablespoon Red or White Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- Spread carrots out in an even layer in a saute pan. Place over medium-high heat and add water until the tops of the carrots are just barely covered with water. Sprinkle salt over top.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer, shaking the pan gently every few minutes, until the water has cooked off and the carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (If the water cooks off before the carrots are tender, add a bit more water and continue simmering as long as needed.)
- Whisk together honey, mustard, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Pour honey mixture over carrots and stir for 1 minute until sauce coats carrots.
- Serve warm.
*This post contains affiliate links*