Why cook pasta on the stovetop when you can cook it hands-off in the Instant Pot? Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti includes marinara sauce that thickens and coats the noodles and tender chicken that all comes together in one pan.
Talk about, winner, winner chicken dinner (plus spaghetti!). This one pot, super simple Instant Pot method produces springy noodles with tender bites of chicken. It's a great way to feed a crowd or make leftovers for the entire week.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Layer ingredients in the Instant Pot - In the bowl of an Instant Pot, layer, 2 cups chicken stock, then 20-ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, one pound of dry spaghetti, two (25-ounce) jars of store-bought marinara, and finally 2 more cups of chicken stock.
- Close and lock lid - Close and lock the lid. Set the valve to Sealing.
- Cook 4 minutes - Cook on manual / high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Natural release 5 minutes - Let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure.
- Shred chicken - Take the chicken out and chop or shred it.
- Stir well - Stir the pasta really well (about 20 times) to break about any pasta that might still be stuck together. Add the chicken back in.
- Serve with chopped basil and shredded parmesan on top.
Why Cook Pasta and Sauce Together
A special type of pasta magic happens when you cook pasta and sauce together in one pot. As it cooks, the pasta releases starch into the sauce, giving the sauce a creamy texture and rich flavor.
The Instant Pot / pressure cooker is great for this one pot spaghetti and sauce method. The spaghetti comes out al dente (tender but still springy), and the sauce thickens and coats the noodles as it all cooks.
Check out my post on how to cook any pasta in the instant pot for even more ways to use this great technique.
Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti Ingredients
- Chicken Thighs - Use boneless, skinless thighs which will stay more tender as they cook. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts will work just fine, but may be a bit more dry.
- Spaghetti - This recipe was tested with spaghetti, so results and cook times may vary if you use another type of pasta.
- Marinara Sauce - Use any type of store-bought marinara sauce. This dish calls for two 25-ounce jars. I love trying different flavors and varieties, so get whichever flavor sounds good to you!
- Chicken Stock - You get the most flavor and a rich sauce by using chicken stock, but in a pinch you could also just use water as the cooking liquid.
- Chopped Basil and Parmesan Cheese (optional) - Great for topping your finished dish, but totally optional.
More Pasta in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- 6-quart Instant Pot / pressure cooker
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, divided
- 20 ounces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, uncooked
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 (25-ounce) jars Marinara Sauce (see note)
- 16 ounces Dried Spaghetti
- Chopped Fresh Basil, for serving (optional)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese, for serving
- Pour 2 cups of stock into the bowl of an instant pot. Add the chicken thighs. Season the top with the salt and pepper. (Don't worry if the chicken is completely submerged in liquid, just season over the top of the liquid.)
- Add the spaghetti, breaking it apart so that it easily fits inside the pot. Pour the jars of marinara sauce over the spaghetti. Pour the remaining 2 cups of stock over the marinara sauce. (Note: Be sure to add the ingredients in the order listed to avoid getting the burn error. Do NOT stir everything together before cooking.)
- Close and lock lid. Move the pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on manual / high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and transfer the chicken thighs to a cutting board. Roughly chop the chicken. Give the pasta a really good stir about 20 times to break apart any strands of pasta that stuck together. Stir in the chopped chicken.
- If not serving right away, let the lid of the Instant Pot rest on top to keep the pasta warm. As the pasta sits the sauce will continue to thicken.
- Serve the pasta with basil and parmesan cheese on top.