Warm Arugula, Steak, and Crispy Potato Salad takes a classic combination and adds fresh color and flavor. Drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette, this is a hearty entree salad that is great for summer meals.
You wouldn’t believe how many times this salad has shown up on my dinner table this month. I have served it to my husband and kids (usually deconstructed for the under 10 set), to guests, and even taken it to someone who needed a meal delivered. It’s just a simple crowd pleasing meal that takes a steak and potatoes dinner and builds some fresh vegetables and flavors right in.
Similar to my Crispy Chicken Salad, this salad is incredibly easy and works for any season. If the weather is nice, fire up the grill and cook the steak there. If you want an indoor meal, it’s plenty easy to do the whole thing inside. Just assemble all of the ingredients and serve!
- Baby or New Potatoes - Any type will work. Quarter them if large or halve if small. Toss these with olive oil, salt, and black pepper before roasting (see below for details).
- Steak - Use your favorite steak for this recipe. You can sear it on the stovetop or toss it on the grill. A simple seasoning of salt and pepper is all it needs.
- Baby Arugula - The peppery flavor of arugula goes well with steak, but feel free to use your favorite salad greens.
- Pickled Red Onions - I absolutely love the flavor of pickled red onions on this salad, and I’m sure you will too! Just letting the pickles rest for 30 minutes will give them so much flavor - grab the recipe here.
- Avocados, Cherry or Grape Tomatoes - These add fresh flavor and color.
- Blue Cheese - Crumbled blue cheese is a classic complement for steak. If blue cheese isn’t your thing, try crumbled feta or goat cheese.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette - Use store-bought or homemade. This salad is also great with Sweet Basil Vinaigrette or Honey Mustard Vinaigrette.
How to Make Steak and Potato Salad
- Roast potatoes. Toss potatoes with oil, salt, and black pepper and roast until tender at 400°F, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cook steak. Season steak well with salt and pepper. Cook to your liking in a skillet on the stove or on the grill.
- Rest steak. This is important. Be sure to rest the steak for 10 minutes after cooking to let the juices settle so it will be tender when you slice it.
- Assemble salads. Spread arugula out in a large bowl or in individual bowls. Top with avocados, pickled red onions, tomatoes, and warm potatoes. Slice steak and arrange it on top. Crumble cheese on top.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette. Drizzle salad with vinaigrette.
How to Roast Crispy Potatoes
Toss baby or new potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400°F until crispy on the outside and tender in the center, 25 to 30 minutes.
If you find that you’re struggling to get potatoes that are tender in the center, try steam-roasting. This method roasts the potatoes covered first so that they steam. You then remove the foil so that the outsides can crisp up.
What to Serve with Steak and Potato Salad
- Lodge Cast Iron Skillet - I use this 10.5-inch cast iron skillet nearly every day. To keep it seasoned, just be sure to dry it well and rub it with some oil before storing it (this will prevent rust and keep it seasoned).
- Half Sheet Pan - The perfect size pan for everything from roasting vegetables to baking cookies.
- Global Chef’s Knife - You only really need one chef's knife to use for everything and this is my favorite. I've had it for 7+ years. It's incredibly lightweight. If you, like me, are under 5'4", the 6-inch is a perfect size (if you're taller, get the 8-inch).
Arugula, Steak, and Crispy Potato Salad
- Half Sheet Pan
- Grill Pan or Skillet
- 12 ounces Baby or New Potatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound Steak, filets or hanger steak
- 10 ounces Baby Arugula (substitute any salad greens)
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- ½ cup Pickled Red Onions (substitute thinly sliced raw red onions)
- 1 cup Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup crumbled Blue Cheese (sub feta or goat cheese)
- 1 batch Balsamic Vinaigrette (with ½ teaspoon dried oregano added)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss potatoes with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and some fresh black pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and bake, turning once with a spatula, until golden and tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Season steak generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Let it rest at room temperature to take some of the chill off.
- Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. When it begins to shimmer, add steak and sear on both sides until cooked to your liking. Set steak aside and let rest for, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain pickled red onions.
- Assemble salad with a bed of greens topped with avocados, red onions, tomatoes, and warm potatoes.
- Thinly slice steak and arrange it on top of the salad. Crumble blue cheese over top. Drizzle with vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
Leave a Reply