With a simple, one-pan method, these parmesan roasted potatoes are about to become your favorite weeknight side dish. Cover the potatoes for the first half of cooking so they steam and then uncover to get them golden and crisp.
Do you need a new, simple, family-pleasing side dish to add to your new year dinner routine? Parmesan Roasted Potatoes are here for it. Simple vegetable side dishes are what we all need in our back pockets for weeknight cooking and roasting makes it easy. Toss them on a pan, slide them in the oven, and let them go while the rest of dinner comes together.
These parmesan roasted potatoes aren’t exactly a set it and forget it side dish, but they use a method that leads to perfectly tender golden-crisp potatoes every time. The method is called steam-roasting and once you get the hang of it, you’ll want to use it for all of your vegetables. Here’s everything you need to know.
What is Steam-Roasting?
To steam-roast vegetables, roast them covered at high heat for the first few minutes. This traps the natural moisture of the vegetables and helps them to start cooking all the way through. Then uncover the vegetables to finish roasting so they get golden brown.
This method works particularly well with potatoes in place of par-boiling. They will get tender during the first step and then golden brown and crisp during the second.
- Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes – I’m partial to the golden, tender flavor and texture of baby Yukons here but any baby potatoes will work well.
- Cooking Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This recipe starts with cooking oil that can hold up to high heat (like avocado, grapeseed, or vegetable oil) and then ends with extra virgin olive oil for flavor. You can absolutely use just one of these oils for both steps of the recipe if you prefer.
- Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper – Use these to flavor the potatoes as they cook. Be sure to use garlic powder, not garlic salt (which will make the dish too salty). I like to use garlic powder instead of chopped garlic because fresh garlic can burn during the high heat of cooking here. I test all of my recipes using coarse kosher salt. If using table salt, reduce the amount to ½ tsp.
- Parmesan Cheese – You can use pre-grated parmesan cheese or grate it yourself. Any other type of cheese will also work here, or you can skip the cheese if you prefer.
- Chopped Parsley – Totally optional, but this adds some color and fresh flavor. Chopped chives work great too.
How to Make Steam-Roasted Potatoes
- Steam Potatoes – Spread potatoes out on an oiled baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil (you don’t want any of that moisture to sneak out) and transfer to the oven to steam for 15 minutes at 450°F / 232°C.
- Toss with seasoning – Remove potatoes and toss with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Roast – Return pan to the oven and roast uncovered, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Add cheese – Toss potatoes with cheese and return to the oven just until cheese is melted.
- Add parsley – Toss with parsley for some color and flavor if you’d like!
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes
- Chili-Lime Glazed Beef Skewers with Charred Corn Salsa
- Broiled Honey Lime Salmon
- Crock-pot Rotisserie-Style Chicken
- Creamy Dijon Chicken
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Half Sheet Pan
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 lbs Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, quartered (sub any baby potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (not garlic salt)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped Parsley, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F / 232°C.
- Drizzle cooking oil over a rimmed sheet pan, tipping the pan to evenly coat. (If the oil doesn't mostly cover the bottom of the pan after tipping the pan, add enough oil to lightly coat.)
- Scatter potatoes over the pan and cover very tightly with foil (you might need two sheets of foil).
- Transfer potatoes to the oven and roast, covered, for 15 minutes.
- While potatoes start cooking, whisk together olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and (carefully - the pan is piping hot!) remove foil.
- Drizzle olive oil mixture over potatoes and use a spatula to toss everything together.
- Return potatoes to the oven and roast, flipping with a spatula halfway through cooking, until golden brown and very tender, 15 to 20 minutes (depending on size of potatoes).
- Toss potatoes with cheese and return to oven for 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with parsley (if using) and serve.
*This post contains affiliate links*