I don’t know about you, but I’ve been in the mood for something sweet.
There was a point earlier this week when I was quite certain that the only thing in the world that could save me from a meltdown was an entire bowl of Nutella frosting. Luckily, these little cupcakes turned out even better than I had hoped (not to mention that they were begging to be piled high with Nutella frosting)…and so did the project of switching hosting companies for the blog and upgrading to a fancy new theme. I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a moment when I doubted making the switch.
I did not, however, doubt the making of these chocolate cupcakes. Or that Nutella frosting – did I mention that already?
And now, here we are. Thursday. Inquiring Chef has a new home and I’m all moved in to a new space that I’ve only begun playing around with but already love.
The move is over. We ate all the cupcakes.
Things are getting back to normal around here.
Sour Cream Fudge Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup Quinoa Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs (separated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 and 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- small splash Milk (only as needed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the butter and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. Sift together the sugar, quinoa flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the cooled cocoa mixture, egg yolks, vanilla and sour cream and blend well. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter.
- Spoon into a muffin tin lined with paper cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting, use a hand mixer to beat the butter and Nutella on high until evenly combined. Add the powdered sugar a quarter cup at a time, beating between each addition until all of the powdered sugar is added. Beat on high until frosting is smooth. (Add a splash of milk if needed to get the frosting to an easy spreading consistency.) When the cupcakes are cool, liberally spread icing over the top of the cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!