This turkey chili with sweet potatoes, black beans and quinoa is a hearty, healthy bowl of goodness that cooks in the slow cooker all day long and is a guaranteed weeknight dinner winner. It takes 10 minutes to put together, can be made ahead, freezes wonderfully and is gluten-free.
Slow cooker recipes save many a weeknight in our house, and this one is being added into the heavy rotation.
What You’ll Love
What’s not to love about any good slow cooker recipe? They’re fast, easy, and there’s nothing quite as satisfying as coming home to dinner that’s ready to serve and only one dish to clean.
Chili is a slow cooker dream. The flavors only get better over time, so low and slow is the best way to cook it. I’ve been known to come home to my slow cooker and hit the warm button 4 or 5 times before we actually sit down to eat, and this is a recipe that won’t be any worse for the wear with a few (or 20) delays.
This is also one of those weeknight dinners that you can feel totally good about eating. Quinoa gives the chili an extra protein boost to make this satisfying and hearty. And only 380 calories per serving means more room for toppings.
Because we all know that toppings are where chili dinners really go from good to amazing.
Make Ahead / Freezer Friendly
There is some magic that happens when you make chili ahead of time that means it tastes better on Tuesday than on Monday. In this case, you can slow cook the whole batch early in the week, or load up the slow cooker on Sunday night (pre-cook the turkey as outlined in Step #1 in that case) and just start it cooking first thing Monday or Tuesday morning.
And bonus that this freezes well too – add it to our list of favorite freezer meals!
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1½ lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes, cubed
- ¼ cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 1 (15-oz) can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can Tomato Sauce (or tomato "puree")
- ½ cup Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Pre-Cook Turkey: (Do this up to 3 days in advance and refrigerate the turkey until you're ready to start the slow cooker.) Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add turkey, chili powder and cumin and continue cooking until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Slow Cook Chili: Combine cooked turkey and all remaining ingredients (through the toppings). Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
And while the chili cooks, our two little ladies are busy discussing dog walking neighbors and the chance that constantly wearing wings will someday enable them to take flight.