This creamy, spicy, packed with flavor pasta salad with a chipotle dressing is a fun twist on a classic. This is a great way to spice up the pasta salad routine...literally!
Is there a limit on the number of classic dishes we can transform with taco-inspired ingredients? It just seems like such an easy win. Can anyone turn down spices, avocado, cheddar cheese, and fresh corn? No, right?
For several years in a row we’ve done Slow Cooker Crispy Pork and a big taco bar for the Fourth of July, and this year was no different. It’s great for a crowd - large or small - and there are countless ways to use leftovers.
And the leftovers from any taco bar you might be planning? They can be thrown right into this pasta salad! Love when one meal becomes two or three...or four.
This pasta salad is tossed in a creamy dressing that can (and should!) be adapted to your tastes. Spice it up with a tablespoon or more of that adobo sauce or just use a bit which adds a smoky, subtle spice. No matter how much spice you use, the dry spices will give the dressing plenty of flavor.
And the rest of the ingredients are just as adaptable. Anything you’d like to see on a taco would be great here. I used those small sweet peppers which gave the salad great crunch and lots of extra color.
A squeeze of lime juice at the end adds a fresh, tangy flavor that balances the creamy dressing.
It’s part classic and part new, and both those parts are totally tasty.
More fun potluck dishes
- Creamy and Tangy Coleslaw
- Slow-Cooker Brown Sugar Baked Beans
- Summer Berry Cobbler
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Panzanella Salad Skewers
- Sesame Noodle Salad
- Bacon, Corn and Avocado Salad
Pasta Salad with Creamy Chipotle Dressing
- Large Saucepan or Stockpot
For the dressing:
- ½ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoon - 2 tablespoon Adobo Sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
For the pasta salad:
- 12 oz Fusilli Pasta (sub any pasta shape)
- 3 ears Corn, kernels sliced off (or 2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted)
- 1 14 oz / 397 g can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Bell pepper, diced (we used thinly sliced small sweet peppers in the version photographed)
- 6 oz Cheddar Cheese, cubed
- 1 Avocado, cubed
- 2 - 4 teaspoon Lime juice
- 2 stalks Green onions, finely chopped
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing. Taste and add the adobo sauce a bit at a time to adjust to your spice (you can skip it altogether if you don’t want the pasta salad spicy).
- Toss together pasta, corn, black beans, bell pepper, cheese, and avocados (see note below - if not serving right away, wait to add the avocado).
- Just before serving, toss together the dressing and pasta salad with lime juice, to taste. Top with green onions.
When you’re a twin and want a pic in every single photo board at the zoo….
*This post contains affiliate links*