One Pan Huevos Rancheros
Published Jan 12, 2016•Updated Apr 19, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Huevos Rancheros are pretty epic in the world of one pan dinners. Throw a bunch of tasty ingredients in a skillet, and crack some eggs into that rich, super flavorful sauce. Our version takes 25 minutes, is vegetarian, and gluten-free (with corn tortillas).
Frozen chopped bell peppers add bright color and flavor not to mention that they save time and money – frozen are much cheaper than fresh when peppers aren’t in season.
Warm tortillas to serve on the side, and dinner is served!
Weeknight-Friendly, Easy Dinner
Every once in a while I daydream about hiring someone to do my dishes. (Okay, I probably daydream about this more.)
Think there is such a thing as a dishwashing summer internship?
The next best thing to having someone do my dishes is having only one dish to clean. At the end of destroying our kitchen all day, something that requires just my cast iron skillet and 25 minutes is exactly my speed. Bonus that this recipe uses eggs for protein which makes it easy on the budget and perfect for bringing meatless dinner into the rotation.
Make-Ahead Huevos Rancheros
The base for this dish (black beans, peppers, and mild salsa) can be combined and refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 3 months. Freeze the filling flat in plastic bags. Just reheat in a skillet until bubbling (you may need to add a bit more salsa) and continue with the recipe as written.
We love our runny yolks around here, but cook the eggs to your liking!
More One Pan Dinners
- Sheet Pan Honey Dijon Chicken
- Thai Coconut Chicken Curry
- Honey Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
- Sheet Pan Steak and Potatoes
- Broiled Honey Lime Salmon
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Pad See Ew
- Thai Basil Chicken (Pad Krapow Gai)
- One-Pan Italian Turkey Meatballs with Marinara
- Lemon Chicken Piccata
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
One Pan Huevos Rancheros
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Bell Peppers (any color, we use a frozen chopped mix)
- 1 (14 oz) can Black Beans
- 1 cup Salsa, any variety
- 4 Eggs
- 8 small Tortillas, flour or corn (use gluten-free corn if appropriate)
- 1 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add onion and bell peppers and saute until tender, about 4 minutes (add a few minutes more if using frozen bell peppers; they will release extra moisture while cooking, so saute until liquid is cooked off).
- Rinse and drain beans. Add beans and salsa to pan and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until mixture thickens, 4 minutes.
- Use a spoon to create four small indentations in the filling. Crack the eggs into the indentations. Cover the skillet with a lid or tightly with a piece of foil. Cook, covered, until the eggs are cooked to your liking (for us, to keep the yolks runny, this was 4 minutes, but adjust to your liking).
- Meanwhile, cover tortillas with a dishtowel and heat in the microwave until warm, about 1 minute. Keep them covered with a dishtowel until ready to serve so that they stay warm.
- Divide tortillas between plates and spoon Huevos Rancheros onto each serving. Top with cilantro any other toppings you'd like!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
We’re getting as creative as we can with the windchill here in Kansas dipping into the single digits! A children’s museum outing on Saturday was as fun for the parents as for Molly and Clara – who knew that Transnistria had a currency?
*This post contains affiliate links*