I never say no to a pretty bowl of soup. Bonus that this Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini and Kale is packed with healthy greens, hearty tortellini, has 28 grams of protein per serving and is oh-so-fast. This is the sort of satisfying, 480 calorie weeknight meal that everyone needs in their back pocket.
I’m working on a theory about tortellini. It goes something like this. Tortellini turns anything into a meal. Something about it is hearty + classy + downright delicious. Even those who would argue that soup is not a meal, will change their mind if tortellini is in the mix.
Even picky toddlers.
Picky toddlers LOVE tortellini. Take that one to the bank.
And little secret…
Adults love it too.
This Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini and Kale was a particularly easy sell for Frank and me after we kicked off last week with a Sunday-night 7 course dinner at Kansas City’s new and fabulous Stock Hill. After all those indulgent courses (+ wine pairings!) we needed all the clean, simple soup we could get.
And this is it, friends. Hearty enough to leave you satisfied. Plus still a little virtuous.
Even virtuous enough to make up for a seven course dinner….or all those Sweet Potato Fry Nachos you *may* have eaten on Sunday.
More Yummy Soup Recipes
- Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- Simple Chicken Noodle Soup with Miso
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Taco Soup with Ground Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini and Kale
- Dutch Oven or Large Saucepan
- 8 oz Tortellini
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 8 oz Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 14oz can Diced Tomatoes (a variety with Italian seasonings or basil in the mix works great)
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 leaves Kale, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 15oz can Cannellini or White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice, to taste
- 2 oz Parmesan, grated
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. (You can do this up to 3 days ahead, as I like do as part of my Sunday Prep.)
- Place a Dutch Oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then Italian Sausage and saute, breaking sausage apart, until nearly cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions, carrots and Italian seasoning and saute until onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes (including their liquid), stock, kale and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat so the soup maintains a low simmer and continue simmering for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together. While soup simmers, drain and rinse beans and grate parmesan (if not already grated).
- Stir beans and into soup and simmer just until beans are heated through. Remove soup from heat and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Taste and add additional salt (I do often find this needs a bit more salt at the end, but that will depend on the natural saltiness of your sausage and stock.)
- Divide tortellini into serving bowls. Ladle soup over tortellini (see note). Top with parmesan.
Here’s an accurate snap of what 8am looks like most days in our kitchen. Clara with crazy hair I haven’t yet tackled. Molly with a bag full of random treasures she starts trying to convince us she “needs” to take to school with her.
*This post contains affiliate links*