Indian Chicken Burgers
Published Mar 23, 2011•Updated Apr 19, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bangkok is overrun with mangos at the moment. They are super ripe, deliciously fragrant and being sold everywhere I look. Nearly everyone I pass on the street is carrying a huge bag of them. Today they seem particularly cheery, as it is gray and rainy out.
I, too, cannot resist the mangos and end up picking up more mangos than two people could reasonably consume. Actually, make that one person (my husband doesn’t like ripe mangos…but don’t mention that to our Thai friends).
One of my very favorite ways to eat ripe mango is in a tangy, sour, sweet, slightly spicy chutney. And one of my very favorite ways to eat chutney is atop these Indian burgers. I’ve made these many times, and every time I remember just how incredible these are and want to share them. Today is the day – enjoy!
And if you’re looking for a baking activity (or live in Thailand, where it is tricky to find good bread), whip up a batch of Light Brioche Buns to go with the burgers. Mmmm – these are so soft and wonderful that we end up eating them by themselves right out of the oven.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Indian Chicken Burgers with Mango Salsa and Cucumber Raita
For the Mango Salsa
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped very fine
- 1/2 spicy chili pepper or jalepeno, seeds and veins removed, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- dash cinnamon
For the Cucumber Raita
- 1 small cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt, to taste
- juice squeezed from 1/2 lemon
For the Burgers
- 1.5 pounds (650 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. Indian curry powder
- 1/2 cup (25 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 8 hamburger buns
- For the mango salsa, combine all ingredients (mango through cinnamon) and stir to combine. Taste and add salt or additional vinegar, to taste. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- For the cucumber raita, combine all ingredients (cucumber through lemon juice) and stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt, if needed. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Combine all ingredients for the burgers (chicken through pepper) in a food processor and blend until evenly combined and chicken is ground into an even, yet textured, consistency. Shape into 8 patties. Grill or cook in nonstick skillet over medium heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve immediately on buns, topped with chutney and raita.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.