Tex Mex Burgers with Guacamole are a fun, flavorful twist on classic burgers. Seasoned with a blend of spices and topped with guacamole and cheese, these Southwestern-inspired burgers are absolutely packed with flavor.
Ingredients for Tex Mex Burgers
- Ground Beef – I find that 80% lean ground beef makes burgers that are juicy but not greasy. You can go for a leaner variety of ground beef if you prefer.
- Tex Mex or Taco Seasoning – You can absolutely use a store-bought taco seasoning to flavor Tex Mex Burgers, but it’s a great use of this simple homemade tex mex seasoning.
- Salt – If the tex mex / taco seasoning you use already contains salt, you may not need to add any more to the burgers. If in doubt, combine the ingredients for the hamburger patties and then cook a tablespoon in a pan. Taste it and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Cheese – If you ask me, these burgers must be topped with cheese. Pepper jack cheese gives the burgers a bit of spice. Mild cheddar or Colby jack would also be great.
- Hamburger buns – I have a soft spot for brioche hamburger buns.
- Guacamole – To save yourself the work and extra dishes, just grab pre-made guacamole from the produce section. Or make it from scratch. Serve any leftovers with chips!
Aldi Shopping List
I’ve been on a major Aldi kick lately! Any Aldi fans out there? When I get in the groove at that store, I come across so many great finds. This recipe was entirely made using Aldi ingredients (see below). Those brioche buns have become a staple at our house.
Other Non-Boring Burger Recipes
- Banh Mi Burgers – These unexpected burgers have all the savory, crunchy, sweet, sour magic of Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches plus a creamy Sriracha Lime Mayo.
- Indian Chicken Burgers – A unique spice blend seasons these healthier burgers made with ground chicken. Mango salsa and cucumber raita add big flavor.
- Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burgers – The best veggie burgers I’ve ever had.
- Lodge Cast Iron Skillet – I know that many would swear that the best burgers are made on a grill, but the simplicity and speed of burgers seared in a good cast iron skillet.
Tex Mex Burgers with Guacamole
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef (80% lean)
- 5 tsp Tex Mex or Taco Seasoning (use this blend)
- 3/4 tsp Salt (see note)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil (like grape seed, vegetable, or avocado oil)
- 4 slices Cheese (pepper jack, mild cheddar, or Colby jack)
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 1/2 cup Guacamole
- Other burger toppings like sliced red onions, tomatoes, lettuce
- Combine beef, seasoning, salt (if using), and black pepper.
- Gently mix them together (using your hands works best) just until everything is blended.
- Form into 4 even patties.
- Gently press the center of each patty so that there is a slight indent in the middle (this will help the burgers to stay flat as they cook).
- Prepare an outdoor grill or, if cooking inside, heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Brush grill or pan with cooking oil and add burger patties.
- Sear on both sides until burgers are cooked to your liking. In the last minute of cooking, top each burger patty with a slice of cheese.
- Set burger patties aside and cover to keep warm.
- Toast hamburger buns.
- Assemble burgers by filling hamburger buns with guacamole, burger patties, and other toppings.
Every once in awhile I catch a glimpse of who the girls might be at 13-years-old. (Or…more accurately, when they’re talking on our early 1990s phone…I catch a glimpse of myself at 13.)
This post is not sponsored, but it does contain affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. Thank you for your support!