Apple Cider Vinegar lends natural sweet-tart flavor to this easy homemade vinaigrette that is just the topping that all your fall and winter salads need.
This is one of those super versatile items to have waiting in the fridge this time of year. It’s as great served over a fall salad with Apples, Brie, and Pecans as it is tossed with just some arugula or mixed greens. My kids will dip vegetables in it, and I’ve been known to use it to marinate chicken or drizzle over pork chops.
The ingredients list is short and sweet.
- Shallot – Shallot adds a savory flavor to the vinaigrette, but you just need a little. Because the shallot will add texture to the vinaigrette, be sure to mince it very fine or just blend the entire vinaigrette to get it super smooth and creamy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This is the key flavor. Any variety of apple cider vinegar will work well here.
- Dijon Mustard – Tart mustard balances the sweetness.
- Honey – I like the flavor of honey, but it’s also great with maple syrup.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – If you don’t want the subtle olive flavor that comes from olive oil here, you can use any other neutral oil. Grapeseed oil or avocado oil are great all-purpose oils with mild flavors.
- Salt and Pepper – Add a pinch of salt and pepper at the end – it will really make the flavor pop!
How to Make Vinaigrette
Once you get the hang of making homemade vinaigrette, it’s hard to go back to the store-bought variety. Not only is it super affordable, but you have total control over the flavor – make it more sweet, more tart, or more creamy. Most vinaigrette starts with a ratio of 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar and then customize with aromatics, dried spices and herbs, sweetener (like honey or maple syrup), or mustard.
Once you have your ingredients picked out, make the vinaigrette using one of these methods to combine them:
- In a bowl with a whisk / fork
- In a Mason jar (just add a lid and shake it well)
- With a blender or immersion blender (for a super smooth vinaigrette)
I have a blog post on How to Make Vinaigrette if you’re interested in more tips, tricks, and variations.
More Homemade Salad Dressings / Vinaigrettes
- Creamy Herb Yogurt Salad Dressing
- Sweet Basil Vinaigrette
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Simple Dressing for Thai Salads
Favorite Tools for Making Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Small Bowl or Jar
- 1 tsp Diced Shallot, finely minced
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or use your favorite oil)
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Combine shallot, vinegar, mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Add olive oil while whisking until the vinaigrette is smooth. (Note: Alternatively, for a very smooth vinaigrette, you can combine all vinaigrette ingredients and blend them in a standing blender or with an immersion blender. This is my preferred method.)
- Season vinaigrette with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Store vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to one week.
*This post contains affiliate links*