Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
Published Oct 16, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
When it comes to dinner, Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies is about as simple and delicious as it gets. Seasoned with garlic and herbs, everything gets tender and caramelized in the oven and cooks in less than 30 minutes.
This meal is a sheet pan dinner with colorful vegetables and plenty of options to vary the flavors. In a pinch, this is an easy go-to for a family meal. Everyone can enjoy the sausage and vegetables any way they’d like. Serve it with Garlic Bread Hawaiian Rolls and an easy sauce like Dijon mustard sauce. Or serve it over lettuce with Balsamic vinaigrette for a low-carb option.
Every season is sheet pan dinner season, but particularly when things get busy, meals like this come in extra handy. Prep everything ahead and let it cook while you pick up the house, finish work, help the kids with their homework, or maybe just take a moment to catch your breath.
How to Make Sheet Pan Sausage and Vegetables
- Toss together sliced sausage and vegetables of choice with olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Spread out on two sheet pans. Be sure to leave some space between the ingredients so that they brown nicely as they cook.
- Roast for 20 to 30 minutes at 425°F / 218°C. Flip everything with a spatula halfway through cooking.
Okay, let’s talk about how to enjoy this meal. My favorite way is DIY-style. Just set this meal out with any of the following accompaniments and let everyone enjoy it however they’d like.
- Serve it as sandwiches, with bread and Dijon mustard sauce
- Serve it as a salad, with greens, croutons or nuts, and Balsamic vinaigrette
- Add Middle Eastern ingredients on the side like warm pita bread and hummus
- Make it into hoagie sandwiches with melted cheese (like this sausage and peppers)
- Serve it over your favorite grain – quinoa, rice, or cauliflower rice
How to Roast Different Vegetables Together
The key to roasting a variety of vegetables together on one pan is to make sure that they are sliced into evenly sized pieces. Be sure to flip everything about halfway through cooking to ensure that the vegetables don’t get too brown on one side. And, most importantly, use two sheet pans to insure that everything has plenty of space to cook evenly and caramelize nicely.
Good Sauces for Sausage
The classic sauce to serve with sausage is mustard. Try it with tangy Dijon, honey mustard, or another creamy mustard-based sauce. Most vinaigrettes also work well with sausage, including a balsamic vinaigrette or a creamy dressing.
- Vegetables – You’ll need about three pounds of vegetables for 4 servings. This will seem like a lot, but they will reduce down considerably as they roast.
- Smoked Sausage – I love chicken apple sausage in this recipe, but any pre-cooked / smoked sausage will work.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Olive oil adds great flavor and helps everything to brown as it roasts.
- Italian Seasoning, Garlic, and Salt – These add flavor to the dish. You can look for a store-bought or homemade Italian seasoning blend.
Make it in the Air Fryer
This recipe works well in the air fryer, just make sure that yours is large enough to hold everything. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F, prepare as written. Cook everything in the air fryer until the vegetables are all tender, shaking the basket a few times during cooking, 15 to 20 minutes total.
- Add spice – Add red pepper flakes to the Italian seasoning to give the dish some spice.
- Mix up the vegetables – Almost any vegetables will work here. Try it with baby potatoes, red bell peppers (or any color bell peppers), chopped green beans, cauliflower florets, carrots, squash, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, or butternut squash.
- Make it vegetarian – Vegetarian / vegan sausage works great in this recipe.
- Change the spice – Any spice blend will work here. Italian seasoning gives it a classic herb flavor, but try any of your favorite spice blends to give the dish a unqiue flavor.
Pin this now to save it for laterPin It Now
Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
- Mixing Bowl
- Half Sheet Pan
- 3 pounds vegetables, sliced into even 2" pieces (like zucchini, summer squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts)
- 1 pound smoked sausage, like chicken, turkey, or andouille, sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly grated parmesan (optional), for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F / 218°C.
- Toss vegetables and sausage with olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Spread out on 2 sheet pans.
- Roast, flipping with a spatula halfway through cooking, until vegetables are golden brown and very tender, 20 to 30 minutes. (Note: If the vegetables stick to the pan when you flip them, drizzle them with some more olive oil before returning to the oven.)
- Serve vegetables and sausage on their own, with parmesan cheese on top, or Dijon mustard sauce (see note below).
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.