Hello from the flip side of the globe! We’ve traveled from Thailand and are now safely and happily here in the U.S. and traveling around Virginia. We are also blessedly on the other side of a 24 hour flight and pulling two 13-month-olds through raucous jet-lag (not mention two adults), a new car, and new bikes (!), and seeing friends, catching up with family, and donuts, great wine, craft beer and introducing Molly and Clara to so many new things…
Sandy fingers and toes.
Train rides at the zoo.The ever popular grocery store shopping cart.We’re all about a good, classic, U.S.-style summer these days. Molly and Clara ate their weight in watermelon, blueberries and cantaloupe by the end of our first week home. I’ve done my part as well – buying peaches and nectarines and eating them in the parking lot before I can even start the ignition.
I saved a few for the salad.
Salty and sweet, this summer salad has nectarines blended right into the vinaigrette. Extra thin crispy pancetta gives it crunch. Arugula gives it peppery bite. Those nectarine slices are straight up summer sweetness.
Hope you’re enjoying these early weeks of summer. We’re in Norfolk, VA but headed cross country in a few days – look out America – we’re coming for you.
Nectarine, Arugula and Crispy Pancetta Summer Salad
For the salad:
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 oz pancetta, very thinly sliced
- 2 nectarines, sliced
- 3 oz feta, crumbled
- 4 oz arugula
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 nectarine, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl combine the onion and vinegar and allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the salad (but can be done up to a day in advance; this will take some of the bite out of the onion and quickly pickle it).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the pancetta so that none of the slices are overlapping. Allow to cook on one side until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until pancetta is evenly crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a blender (or use a food processor or immersion blender) until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the extra vinegar off the onion. Toss the onion, nectarines, feta, and arugula in half the vinaigrette. Crumble the crispy pancetta over the top. Serve immediately, with the extra dressing on the side.