Mexican Corn and Tomato Soup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red or green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 15- oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 15- oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sour cream, for serving
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, onion, and red pepper. Cook, stirring continuously, until the onions begin to turn translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Stir to combine and cook until the spices become fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato juice and diced tomatoes (including the liquid in the cans of tomatoes) and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Add the kidney beans and sweet corn. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, with sour cream and a sprig of cilantro.