Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats make an easy base for these non-gingerbread chocolate “gingerbread” men.
I was set on decorating gingerbread men with Molly and Clara this year, but there’s been plenty of classic cookie baking around here to last us through the season. I thought we’d keep this one simple. Minimum fuss. Maximum crunchy Chocolate Rice Krispies eating.
If you’ve ever made Rice Krispies (or even if you haven’t), these are easy peasy. I used this tip from Francois Payard and added some cocoa powder to the mix. The extra cocoa isn’t necessary, but it gives that butter + marshmallow mix extra chocolate flavor.
Just melt it with the butter in a large nonstick pan. And add marshmallows for chocolate gingerbread men.
Add chocolate chips and Rice Krispies.
The key to forming these into shapes is nonstick cooking spray. That mix up there gets super sticky, but nonstick cooking spray (or even a bit of melted butter) will keep them from sicking.
- Spray the inside of your cookie cutters with nonstick cooking spray. It helps to spray a bit on your hands too.
- Spread out a big piece of wax paper and place the cookie cutters on top.
- Spread the marshmallow-cereal mixture into the top of the cookie cutters, pressing it into corners.
- Gently pull the cookie cutters away.
- Let the Chocolate Rice Krispies cool until set, ~30 minutes.
I made these a day ahead so they were ready for decorating when we were.
More Christmas Baking Ideas
- Christmas Tree Meringues
- Candy Cane Meringues
- Chocolate Mint Pinwheel Cookies
- Chocolate-Mint Ribbon Cookies
- Crisp Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms
- Chocolate Candy Cane Truffles
- All Clad Saucepan https://amzn.to/2F3M9UZ
Chocolate Rice Krispies 'Gingerbread' Men
- Large Non-Stick Saucepan
- Wax Paper
- Half Sheet Pan
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Cookie Cutters
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder, unsweetened (optional)
- 1 10 oz bag Marshmallows (see note)
- 6 cups Crisp Rice Cereal
- 1/4 cup Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Icing, sprinkles and candy for decorating
- Before starting line a sheet pan with wax paper. Set out cookie cutters.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, combine butter and cocoa powder. Stir until melted.
- Add marshmallows and keep stirring until melted, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cereal and chocolate chips until fully combined.
- Spray hands and cookie cutters with nonstick cooking spray.
- Working quickly (the mixture will be harder to work with as it sets), press marshmallow-cereal mixture into the top of each cookie cutter. Be sure to press the mixture into the corners of each cutter. Lift the cookie cutters away. Repeat with all of the remaining mixture.
- Allow treats to cool until fully set, ~30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Decorate with icing, sprinkles and candy as you'd like!
*This post contains affiliate links*