Panzanella Salad with Feta and Fresh Basil
Fresh and flavorful, few dishes celebrate the flavors of summer like the bread salad known as Panzanella. This version includes a simple dressing made with sun-dried tomatoes for extra tomato flavor.
For the Salad:
- 12 oz Good-Quality Bread, 1-inch cubes (Ciabatta or Sourdough work well here - look for a bakery-style loaf of bread)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Tomatoes, chopped (use heirloom or locally-grown tomatoes if available)
- 1 8 oz Cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Red Onion
- 4 oz Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 10 leaves Basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 small Sun-dried Tomato (from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp Honey
Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C.
Toss bread cubes with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and spread out on a large sheet pan (use two if needed). Season bread with some salt and pepper.
Bake bread until golden and very crisp, shaking the pan or flipping the bread with a spatula halfway through cooking, about 15 minutes total.
While bread toasts, combine all ingredients for the dressing and blend with an immersion blender or standing blender until smooth. Set aside.
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl, including toasted bread.
Slowly add dressing to salad while tossing everything together to combine.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Calories: 507kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 1004mg | Potassium: 548mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 391IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 318mg | Iron: 5mg