Butternut Squash Soup with Turmeric and Ginger
Warming turmeric and ginger make this creamy Butternut Squash Soup perfect for cool weather. Roasted carrots and apples help to build flavor. This soup is cozy and satisfying, but also just happens to be full of good-for-you ingredients, is vegan, paleo, keto, and W30 friendly.
- 8 cups cubed Butternut Squash (roughly one 3 lb squash, peeled and cubed)
- 2 medium Apples, any type, chopped
- 8 ounces Carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil, divided (I use avocado oil, but any oil will work)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- ¾ cup Coconut Milk (sold in a can in the international aisle)
- ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled (if using a high-powered blender add it whole, if using a lower-powered blender or immersion blender, grate the ginger first)
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- For serving: yogurt or coconut yogurt, pumpkin seeds, cilantro
Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C. Set out two sheet pans.
Spread butternut squash out on one sheet pan. Spread apples and carrots out on the second sheet pan.
Toss butternut squash with 1 Tbsp cooking oil and ½ tsp salt. Toss apples and carrots with 1 Tbsp cooking oil, ½ tsp salt, and 1 tsp garam masala.
Roast vegetables until very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pans and flipping the vegetables with a spatula halfway through cooking.
Combine roasted vegetables, coconut milk, ground turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and 2 cups water in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more water as needed to reach a pourable consistency.
If the soup is warm enough you can serve immediately. Otherwise, transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer before serving.
Serve with yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and / or cilantro leaves if you'd like. Enjoy!
Print and attach the label below so cooking instructions are ready when you are!
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 320mg | Potassium: 691mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 19643IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 2mg