Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Soup
Author: Jess Smith via Inquiring Chef
- ½ Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut in half (use only the bottom 2 inches of the lemongrass stalk and discard the top)
- ½ Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup carrots, shredded or cut into small matchsticks
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (without stems), cut into strips
- 6 oz. rice noodles, broken into 2 inch strips (or other noodles)
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sauteed and shredded
- 8 fresh basil leaves; cut or shredded into thin slices
- juice from 1 medium lime
- ½ Tbs. soy sauce
Pour oil into medium dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and scallions and saute until both ingredients begin to soften, 3-4 minutes. Add lemongrass and ginger, stirring until lemongrass becomes fragrant.
Add carrots and broth and bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and noodles, cooking until both are tender, about 5 minutes (adjust according to cooking time needed for noodles). Reduce heat to a low simmer.
Remove the lemongrass stalk from the soup and discard. Add chicken, basil, lime juice and soy sauce, stirring gently. Simmer until chicken is heated through and serve.