Tortellini, Basil, and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
Author: Jess Smith via Inquiring Chef
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1- quart chicken broth, preferably lower salt
- 6 oz. fresh or frozen tortellini
- 14 oz. canned diced fire roasted tomatoes with their liquid
- 10 oz. spinach, washed and stemmed; coarsely chopped
- 8 – 10 leaves of basil, coarsely chopped
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil.
Add the tortellini and cook halfway, about 5 minutes for frozen tortellini, and just a minute or two if using fresh. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, reduce the heat to simmer and cook just until the pasta is tender.
Stir in the spinach and basil and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with the grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Adapted from Fine Cooking via Cooking In Stilettos (the original uses a great deal more garlic than used in this variation).