Homemade Instant Oatmeal
In just a few minutes, you can make enough homemade instant oatmeal for the entire week. Add chia and ground flax seeds for texture and flavor, then customize with your favorite mix-ins. This makes 10 servings (about ¾ cup each that can be divided between 8 oz jars).Want to adjust the servings in this recipe? Click on the number next to “servings” and use the slider to scale the recipe.
Servings: 10 servings
- 16 oz Quick-Cook (1-minute) Oats (see note)
- ½ cup (100 g) Dark Brown Sugar (light brown sugar or white sugar will work)
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup Ground Flax Seeds
- Any mix-ins of choice (see below)
Combine oats, sugar, chia seeds, and ground flax in a large mixing bowl. Stir until evenly mixed (this is easiest to do with clean hands).
Transfer oat mixture to a large sealed container (you can often put it right back into the container the oats came in) or divide between individual jars.
Add any dry mix-ins on top if you’d like.
To prepare: Pour hot water or warm milk over oats until completely covered. Let sit for 1 minute. Stir well and serve!
- Look for Quick-Cook (1-minute) Oats in the cereal aisle. These are ground into small pieces and will cook quickly with the addition of hot water. If you can’t find these, you can substitute 16 oz of “Rolled Oats” or “Old-Fashioned Oats” and then pulse them in a blender or food processor until they are roughly half of their original size.
- For dry mix-ins, try:
- Dried / Dehydrated Berries
- Dried / Dehydrated Apples
- Ground Cinnamon
- Peanut Butter Powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Cocoa Powder
- Dried Coconut Flakes
- Goji Berries
- Cacao Nibs
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3mg