Whole Wheat Couscous with Roasted Vegetables
The beauty of this flavorful and filling whole wheat couscous with roasted vegetables is that it can be served as a side to just about any dish. Pile it high and top with fish, meat, stews or simply serve it on its own with a generous salad.
for the vegetables:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds assorted vegetables, cut into even 3/4 inch pieces (a combination of carrots, butternut squash, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes are my favorites)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (1 onion)
for the couscous:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 and 1/3 cups uncooked whole-wheat couscous (regular couscous will also work)
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter (omit for a vegan version)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons green onions, finely sliced
Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and salt. In a large bowl combine the vegetables and onion. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and toss to evenly coat. Spread the vegetables on a large baking dish. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and golden, about 45 minutes. When finished, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Pour the couscous into the boiling liquid while gently stirring it to combine. Immediately remove the pan from heat and place a tight-fitting lid on top of the pan. Let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid and add the butter to the couscous, tossing the couscous with a fork to fluff. Gently stir in the roasted vegetables, parsley, and green onions. Taste and add additional salt, if desired (depending on the saltiness of your broth, you may not need additional salt). Serve immediately.
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g