Herbed Baked Eggs
Topped with a combination of herbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic and cooked under the broiler, these baked eggs can be served hot and bubbly straight from the oven.
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted French bread or brioche, for serving
Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place the oven rack 6 inches below the heat.
Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and Parmesan and set aside. Carefully crack 2 eggs into each of 4 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks.
Place 4 individual gratin dishes or ramekins on a baking sheet. Place 1/2 tablespoon of cream and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Quickly, but carefully, pour 2 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place back under the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. (The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven.) Serve immediately with toasted bread.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 227kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 400mg | Sodium: 204mg | Sugar: 1g