I’d been thinking about my last tapioca pearl undertaking and wanted to try it with a different spin. I prepared the pearls in the same way as before, but this time cold brewed a cup of very strong coffee, added a two teaspoons of brown sugar used the combination to soak the pearls. It came out with a lively, clear flavor that was slightly sweet and still had that fun tapioca texture. I topped it with a bit of vanilla yogurt for a quick, easy dessert.
Coffee Tapioca Pearls
- 1 cup small tapioca pearls
- 1/2 cup strong cold-brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 ripe mango, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup vanilla or honey-flavored yogurt for topping
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add tapioca pearls and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer, stirring frequently until pearls are tender and transparent (25-30 minutes).
- Combine coffee and brown sugar an mix until sugar is dissolved
- Strain and rinse tapioca pearls with cold water. Add pearls to coffee mixture and stir until pearls are evenly coated with liquid. Cover the bowl and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When serving, divide pearls between 4 bowls, top with a dollop of yogurt