Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect fall treat- warm, spicy, chocolatey, and full of delicious pumpkin flavor. Enjoy them hot out of the oven or rolling around in a pile of leaves!
Feeling So Fall-ish
As it turns out, it's not so difficult to bring Halloween to a place that is sincerely lacking in a seasonal fall chill. All it takes, I've discovered, is the smell of pumpkin and spice, a box of fall leaves delivered to your doorstep, online "window" shopping for boots and scarves, kabocha squash that look strikingly similar to pumpkins on the kitchen table, and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to munch on while watching scary movies.
Fall is a state of mind, and the many cans of pumpkin that I have been going through are certainly helping. No matter what I try, I am always drawn back to the combination of pumpkin and chocolate. Something about it just pulls me in and wraps its arms around me in a sweet, spicy, chocolatey embrace. These cookies were no different.
Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies = The Warm Pumpkin Embrace of Fall
When pulled from the oven a minute or two early, these chewy pumpkin chocolate cookies are gooey and rich in exactly the way I like them. When baked for the prescribed amount of time, they hold up a bit better, but still have a nice, soft, slightly chewy consistency. They are not cakey- which I hear from the internet is quite a problem. The amount of spice is made for the richness of dark chocolate. These are a perfect fall cookie. We "may" have devoured an entire batch a couple weekends ago, requiring another round to ring in the Halloween holiday.
Grab some Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and head out for some happy trick-or-treating friends!
Chewy Pumpkin Chip Chocolate Cookies
- 1 ⅔ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (½ cup) of butter, melted and cooled
- 1 ¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of chocolate chips or roughly chopped bar chocolate (I used chopped dark chocolate - bars of Ritter 50% cocoa)
- Whisk together the flour, salt, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, beat the melted butter and sugar together until they are evenly combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Stir in pumpkin puree until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Add chocolate and stir just until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough evenly on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown at the edges, about 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature and serve.