There's no denying that the French know what they're doing when it comes to food. Perfect crusty bread carried still hot from the oven, ham sandwiches slathered with rich butter on both sides, the late afternoon cup of espresso with a bite of extra dark chocolate on the side. They've perfected the art of these indulgences. So it's no surprise that in this French "cake", the addition of a bit of yogurt turns it from dessert into appropriate breakfast material.
More Easy Cake Recipes
French Yogurt Cake with Lemon
- Loaf Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooling Rack
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon finely grated Lemon Zest
- ¾ cup Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9x5 loaf pan with butter or oil. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk 1 ½ cups flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. (If the surface becomes darker than a golden brown while baking, cover the pan with foil and continue baking until cooked through.)
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.